Winter Closure 2022 Academic Advising

Winter Closure 2022

A note from the College of Science Academic Advising team.

From December 23rd, 2022 through January 2nd, 2023, many offices at the University of Arizona are limited in their activities due to winter break. However, we realize that academic advising issues can arise during this period.

For students in majors within the College of Science, please see below.

  • Major-specific questions? Please follow your major department's procedure for contacting your academic advisor during the break.
  • General (non-major specific) questions? Please email Include your name, ID number, and major when emailing.

Winter Session Classes and Schedule Changes
If you choose to take winter session classes, please observe the following dates and deadlines for paying tuition, getting a refund, filing for GRO, and withdrawing from courses.

  • Contact the Summer/Winter Office for questions.
  • LATE DROPS or SCHEDULE CHANGES after the posted deadline: If you need to make a schedule change (i.e. withdrawal or other change after UAccess is no longer available for these requests):
    • Use the Online Change of Schedule Request through the Registrar's office:
    • Your request will get routed to your professor as well as the College of Science for approval. The Registrar's Office will notify you if your request is approved. 
      Note: Please avoid waiting until the last day of the course to request a change, as the procedure involves a few steps that take time for processing!
  • Approvals for excess units to be taken during the winter session will not be approved. Students are limited to 4 units during the winter session as per University Policy.
  • Does my winter course count for my degree program?
    • Courses that apply to your degree program will appear in the proper requirement area in your Academic Advisement Report. Run your Advisement Report in UAccess Student Center and double check the section in which your winter course is included.
    • If the course is not being pulled into the requirement area that you expected, you must choose another course that is allowed for that requirement, unless your Academic Advisor has pre-approved an exception prior to the winter closure. If you feel that there is an error on your advisement report, please follow up with your major advisor.
  • Financial Aid and Satisfactory Academic Progress
    SAP appeals must be completed with an academic advisor, and there will be plenty of time to do this in person once the campus resumes its normal activities on January 2, 2023.

    • You should start the SAP appeal form now by reading through the information here.
    • Start writing your personal statement and collecting appropriate documentation. This will facilitate the meeting with your Academic Advisor on or after January 3rd.  
    • Make an appointment with your academic advisor. Their contact info is in UAccess on the right side of the page. Click "Details". You may also schedule appointments online via Trellis:  
  • Academic Status 
    • If your Grade Point Average is below a 2.0 after Fall 2022 grades post, please watch your UA email early in January for messaging about your next steps. If you have been placed on Academic Warning or Academic Probation, the College and/or your Academic Advisor will reach out you to develop a plan for improvement. Please don't panic. 
    • If you have been rendered Ineligible to continue based on previous academic probation and a fall 2022 GPA <2.0, you may appeal if you experienced extraordinary circumstances or some hardship. Please see the information here and submit your appeal by the priority deadline of January 6th, 2022.
  • Spring 2023 schedule changes
    • If you wish to alter your spring class schedule, please go ahead and do this via UAccess. Plan to discuss these modifications with your advisor when they return on or after January 3rd. There will still be enough time before the spring term begins to make additional schedule changes if needed and to discuss them with your academic advisor.
    • Full or closed classes
      • If the course you want or need is full, the first step is to check if it has a wait list. Search for the class you are trying to add and check the status. If it lists waitlist as the status, you will need to add yourself to the waitlist by selecting the course and adding it to your shopping card. Then, add the course to your shopping cart and try to register for it. You will be added to the wait list if space is available.
      • If the course does not have a wait list, add it to your shopping cart so you can check on it easily. Check on a regular basis in case seats open up. Over the break, students make many changes to their schedules and seats may free up during this time. If the course has pre-requisites, seats will open up after students who failed the pre-requisite are dropped.
      • You may try contacting the department that offers the class to see about possible enrollment, in case their administrators are responding over the winter break.
      • In some cases, you might be able to attend the first day of class with a Change of Schedule form and ask the professor if there is room for you to join the class, but this is not always the case. Check with the offering department to see how enrollment requests are managed.
      • If the class you want can be replaced with another class that is open (i.e. a different general education class) please add your second choice class, but watch for a chance to swap it.
  • Degree Candidacy and Degree check
    The deadline to apply for graduation for Spring 2023 or Summer 2023 is February 1.

    • STEP 1: File for degree candidacy by going to UAccess and checking notices and holds. You should have a link to apply for degree candidacy. 
    • If you do not have a link to the degree candidacy form, please contact Graduation Services:
    • STEP 2:  Make an appointment to complete the Degree Audit Worksheet in person on or after January 3rd. You should do this while you can still make spring schedule changes in case your schedule does not meet degree requirements.
  • Readmission
    If you applied for readmission for the Spring 2023 term, but left UArizona under Probation or Ineligible status, you must fill out the College of Science Application for Readmission and meet with an Academic Advisor to determine eligibility for admission.

    • You are required to meet with the Academic Advisor for your intended major to discuss your program of study.
    • If you are outside of Tucson, you can schedule a phone appointment, or possibly meet online via Zoom). Find contact information for your advisor here:
    • Please do not go to drop-in hours for readmission appointments.  Readmission appointments may take over 30 minutes and will not be handled during drop-in hours.