College of Science Faculty Council
Purpose: To advise the dean and serve as a conduit for communication between the administration and the faculty of the College of Science.
Elected Faculty Council Members - Spring 2022
Committee Chair: Anna Dornhaus
Vice Chair: Guadalupe Lozano
Bryan Black - Associate Professor, Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research
Ross Buchan - Associate Professor, Molecular & Cellular Biology
Haijiang Cai - Associate Professor, Neuroscience
Peter DeCelles - Professor, Geosciences
Anna Dornhaus - Professor, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
Christopher Henderson - Assistant Professor, Mathematics
Dante Lauretta - Regents Professor, Planetary Sciences/Lunar & Planetary Laboratory
Lester McCann - Professor of Practice, Computer Science
Jeffrey Pyun - Professor, Chemistry & Biochemistry
Jeff Stone - Professor, Psychology
Robin Samlan - Associate Professor, Speech, Language, & Hearing Sciences
Peter Troch - Professor, Hydrology & Atmospheric Sciences
Carlos Vargas - Assistant Astronomer, Steward Observatory/Astronomy
Koen Visscher - Associate Professor, Physics
Career Track Representatives
Paul Goodman - Senior Lecturer, Geosciences
Tynan Lazarus - Instructor, Mathematics
Drew Milsom - Associate Professor of Practice, Physics
Dana Narter - Associate Professor of Practice, Psychology
Continuing Status Track Representatives
Guadalupe Lozano - Associate Research Scientist, Mathematics
Andrew Youdin - Associate Astronomer, Steward Observatory
In Fall 2021, Dean Garzione appointed an ad-hoc committee to develop recommendations for the establishment of a new Faculty Council in the College of Science. Based on the committee's recommendations, the membership of the Council and terms of the members are detailed below.
- The Council consists of up to 21 faculty members distributed as detailed below.
- Fourteen departmental representatives, one from each of the 14 academic units of the college. These representatives may be faculty of any rank on any track (tenure track, continuing status, or career track). The representative should not be the department head.
- Up to five career track representatives, one from each of the College's major fields of study (Life Sciences, Earth Sciences; Physics and Space Sciences; Mathematics and Computational Sciences; and Neural, Cognitive, and Behavioral Sciences).
- Up to two continuing status or continuing status eligible faculty members, one from Steward Observatory and one from one of the other units with continuing status faculty (currently Mathematics, Molecular and Cellular Biology, and Neuroscience/Cognitive Science).
- Once the Faculty Council reaches a steady state after a few years, each representative will serve a two-year term, with approximately half of the committee rotating off each year.
- In the first year of the Council, however, all seats will be filled by election, and the College administration will randomly select approximately one half of the members to serve three-year terms. The other members will serve two-year terms.
- Representatives are limited to two continuous terms and may be re-elected after at least one year off.